Infants & toddlers
Our AUSTSWIM water safety and familiarization classes for children aged 4 months to 4 years old may be the most important enrichment activity you give your child; and it may save their life!
Research by Griffith University in Australia (2010-present) shows that regular swimming lessons from an early age (~6 months) help children reach motor, cognitive, academic, emotional and language developmental milestones earlier than non-swimming children.
Conducted by caring, qualified, swim coaches who understand babies and toddlers, other benefits of our 30-minute, small-group swim classes include:
- Bonding with parent/caretaker who is in the water with the child
- Enhanced self esteem and independence as children achieve demonstrable skills at their own pace
- Prevention of water fears as babies less than a year old accept the water more readily than older children
- Better sleep and appetite as swimming classes relax and stimulate babies
- Strengthened respiratory system as swimming is the exercise of choice for asthmatics
Pre-conditioning Your Baby for Submersion
Babies are special! Their in-womb experience prepares them for in-water experiences without adverse effects.
Newborn babies automatically stop breathing if they are placed under water for a short period of time and so avoid inhaling water.
We recommend parents precondition their infants for swimming through a simple process which begins with the parent and baby at bath time to continue developing their natural ease in the water:
- Start by taking a cup of water, ensuring the water is at bath temperature and use the key words: “(Child’s name), ready, one, two, three, go.” Wait one second then pour the water on the child’s forehead allowing it to run smoothly and evenly across the child’s face. Always start with the key words, “(Child’s name), ready, one, two, three, go” and make sure your physical actions remain rhythmical and constant. Remember to smile, laugh and cuddle your child to help him/her (and you!) relax.
- When your baby is very small, you may prefer to drip water from a wet washer/flannel over his/her face. Remember to go slow and be patient.
- By doing this pre-conditioning exercise at home, you and your baby will be much more prepared and therefore relaxed when you join us for swimming class.
Learn to swim
While many swim schools only focus on energetic, fun swimming classes in the early years, Marsden Swim School also concentrates on correct technique so bad habits don’t lead to inefficient strokes.
Marsden Swim School coaches are known for their attention to detail in implementing our AUSTSWIM-endorsed Learn to Swim program, along with a low-stress, warm and friendly atmosphere.
Our AUSTSWIM Learn to Swim classes have up to 5 swimmers per class so individual attention is ensured.
In some cases, semi-private or individual classes can also be arranged.
Swim classes cover:
- Buoyancy on the front and back, rotation, gliding, propulsion with the arms and legs, diving and kickboard work are introduced and built upon over four different levels.
- Freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke are complemented by an understanding of butterfly and sidestroke.
- Water safety skills including the prevention of dangerous aquatic situations and simple rescues of self and others are also explored each term.
Our swim coaches carefully help students swim strokes over longer distances without sacrificing technique, once they have basic competency in the following:
- Swimming 10-15M in all four fundamental strokes
- The survival sidestroke and backstroke
- Diving off the side of the pool.
Junior Club Squad
For those ready to cover greater swimming distances without sacrificing technique, our Junior Swim Squad program is a 45 minute session where participants get the chance to be part of a team.
Through regular swim meets throughout the year, swimmers are given the chance to continually improve on their personal bests in a fun but competitive environment.
Head Coach Arnaud D’enfert knows how to get the best out of his team whilst creating an environment where kids want to come to swim training and push themselves to be their best.
Senior Club Squad
Our Senior Swim Squad is for those ready for a longer session at 1hr. We continue to build our swimming fitness and improve upon personal bests in a fun and professional environment with Head Coach Arnaud D’enfert. (link to his profile)
Adult Swim Squad
Swimming is not just for the kids!
Whether looking to build fitness, preparing for a triathlon or looking to refine technique and maintain it over greater distances we can help in a fun, professional environment. Whatever your goals, we can discuss and work towards them.